Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Starting Seeds in the Basement #1





On March 8, we put one asparagus seed in each of 16 peat pots. The seeds were a year old with a 70% germination rate for 2009. Since we had made no effort to take care of the seeds properly, I lobbied to use 2 seeds per pot but Ken thought we would possibly get more out of our 32 seeds this way. They started emerging March 19 but for one reason or another we weren't ready with the lights. Those were hung and ready to go late Monday, the 22nd, so we left it for the next morning. The early emergers are probably leggier than they should be at this stage so I blow hard on them when I'm checking on them to strengthen them up as Steve Solomon suggests. (Actually he suggests a fan but they are so tiny.)
As of this morning we have 11 of the 16 up which is 69% germination. I know lots of things can still happen to them, but it is so exciting that we are going to have asparagus started from seed. In a year or two, anyway.

1 comment:

Dieverdog said...

Wow they are coming up great! It is neat to see things growing like that. I hope for your sakes the snow is now officially done for the season so you can focus on all the stuff you will need to do outside. I hope the asparagus does well - it's really yummy and I've never had it fresh from a home garden (assuming I will get to have a nibble!)